In the summer of 2000, Chuck Rambo, Conservation Chair of the American Cichlid Association (ACA), announced the establishment of the Paul V. Loiselle Conservation Fund for the conservation of rare and endangered cichlid species.
Paul V. Loiselle is a founding member of the ACA and has held numerous positions in the organization. He is an ichthyologist and currently Curator of Fishes at the prestigious New York Aquarium. Because of Paul's long standing efforts in addressing the conservation of cichlids and other fishes, the ACA was proud to name this fund for someone who has done and continues to do so much, in the name of cichlid conservation.
The ACA Paul V. Loiselle Conservation Fund awarded its first grant in 2007 and will now be accepting applications for future grants on a yearly basis.
Purpose of the ACA Paul V. Loiselle Conservation Fund
The purpose of the ACA Paul V. Loiselle Conservation Fund is to award financial support, within the extent of available monies, to activities deemed worthy of funding, such as, but not limited to:
- research that facilitates the design and/or implementation of effective conservation programs for species at risk;
- programs intended to preserve the integrity of cichlid habitats;
- programs intended to restore cichlid species to the historic habitat from which they have been extirpated, at a date when the habitat of origin is determined suitable for their survival;
- programs that seek to build the capacity of institutions within the country of origin to effect the conservation of cichlid species at risk; and
- programs that assist in the design and/or implementation of long-term management programs outside the country of origin for captive populations of cichlid species at risk
The ACA Paul V. Loiselle Conservation Fund is now taking grant applications. Click here for Grant Application Submission Guidelines.
A list of previous award winners is provided here.
Congratulations to all for your extraordinary efforts in bringing the fund to this point! Keep up the remarkable work, giving our cichlids a brighter future ahead. Because of you, we are making a difference!
The American Cichlid Association is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. Donations to the ACA are tax-deductible.