TFH-ACA Promotion

Go Back   American Cichlid Association Forums > Convention Talk > General Convention Info

Notices

General Convention Info General information concerning how the conventions function and how to prepare or have fun at the next one.

Hybrid or not?
Unread 10-05-2012, 8:42 AM   #1
Mikeinco
ACA Members

Usergroup: ACA Members
Last Activity: 10-04-2013 6:43 PM
Hybrid or not?

I have been wondering about this for sometime now and I would like to know what class if any would a Super Red Severum be placed in? I have a large female that I want to enter in the 2013 show in Denver but will not enter the fish if its not going to be recognized being that the fish is a line bred.

Unread 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
pitdogg2

Usergroup: Members
Last Activity: 04-14-2014 4:15 PM
that is a good question. I had the same question when I had my Rotkeil's. They had very bright red and blue looked line breed to me but i was told they were a variety that were found in the Amazon. I have recently seen some wild caught Hero's that were very colorful and they just blew me away. Its no wonder they're known as "poor mans Discus".

Unread 10-05-2012, 3:01 PM   #3
Jeff George
ACA Members

Last Activity: 05-03-2013 3:23 AM
Were they not adding a division of show classes for "ornamental" cichlids, as opposed to "wild type?" I would think that a line-bred but non-hybridized severum would go into the same sort of class that would house things like gold rams and ruby red peacocks. These fish, like fancy guppies and show bettas, are not hybrids, but they are not wild-type either. For that matter, turquoise discus and pearlscale angels ought to be considered "ornamental" rather than "wild-type" as well, but I may just be opening a can of worms by mentioning that...

I've seen a version of the convention show guidelines that includes such classes, but I'm not sure if it was passed, or just proposed. In any case, I'm pretty sure the issue was being addressed or at least discussed.

Unread 10-05-2012, 4:08 PM   #4
Narwhal72
ACA Cadre

Usergroup: Global Moderators
ACA Cadre
ACA Members
ACA Web Team
Last Activity: Today 9:12 AM
BOT is reviewing the CSC plan now and it should be propped for ratification in November.

In response to Mike's question a Super Red Severum would be entered in the Ornamental category since it is an aquarium strain fish and not found in the wild.

In response to Ivan, a Rotkeil severum is a naturally occuring strain of severum and would be in the Wild Type Cichlids category.

Andy

Unread 10-05-2012, 5:34 PM   #5
Mikeinco
ACA Members

Last Activity: 10-04-2013 6:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narwhal72 View Post
BOT is reviewing the CSC plan now and it should be propped for ratification in November.

In response to Mike's question a Super Red Severum would be entered in the Ornamental category since it is an aquarium strain fish and not found in the wild.

In response to Ivan, a Rotkeil severum is a naturally occuring strain of severum and would be in the Wild Type Cichlids category.

Andy
Andy that is my understanding as well and if I remember correctly the Super Red would not be eligable for an ACA sanctioned award. Is that correct?

Last edited by Mikeinco; 10-05-2012 at 6:05 PM.

Unread 10-06-2012, 9:28 AM   #6
Narwhal72
ACA Cadre

ACA Cadre
ACA Members
ACA Web Team
It would not be eligible for Best in Show. But it could win Best in class and Best in Division as well as People's Choice.

Unread 02-22-2013, 6:51 PM   #7
6bar

Last Activity: 07-04-2013 11:57 PM
Resurrecting an older thread. But where would an orange chromide fit in the fish show? I'm referring to the line bred type. It's not a an American cichlid, and the other category for ornamental fish is old world. But when I think old world I think Africa. Which show category should it go into since its Asian, but not wild type?

Unread 02-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
6bar

Last Activity: 07-04-2013 11:57 PM
I'm gonna resurrect this thread, to ask a question about fish categories for the aca fish show. In what category should a line bred orange chromide go?

Unread 02-28-2013, 4:41 AM   #9
Jeff George
ACA Members

Last Activity: 05-03-2013 3:23 AM
I would think that "Old World" would include Madagascar and Asia. "New World" generally refers to the Americas, and the islands closely associated with them.

Good thing there aren't any native cichlids in Australia...

Unread 02-28-2013, 8:59 AM   #10
Narwhal72
ACA Cadre

ACA Cadre
ACA Members
ACA Web Team
Jeff is right. Chromides would fall into the Old World Division.

I am not positive but I believe the Orange Chromide is a line bred variety and not the natural color form. In which case it would fall into the Ornamental Cichlid division.

If however the Orange chromide is a line bred version of an amelanistic fish (that does occur naturally but rarely) then it would be in the Old World Division.

Andy