ACA 2014 Louisville

Go Back   American Cichlid Association Forums > General Discussion > Equipment and Do It Yourself

Notices

Equipment and Do It Yourself Fishrooms, fish stuff and just good ideas to keep the places running smoothly.

Dollar Per gallon sale at Petco
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
blaciarmd
ACA Members

Usergroup: ACA Members
Last Activity: 07-23-2014 11:18 PM
Dollar Per gallon sale at Petco

I stopped by at Petco and noticed they are having their dollar per gallon sale. It's mostly 10-40 gallon sizes on the shelf, but if you ask they may have larger sizes in the back(Hide the larger tanks until the sale is over ). Sales on through 9/22, but I don't know if this is nation wide.

Unread 09-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
pitdogg2

Usergroup: Members
Last Activity: Today 12:01 AM
the sale is only good on 55g and lower. The hope is that you'll buy other stuff cause they are losing dollars on every tank sold.

Unread 09-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Lisachromis
ACA Life Member

Usergroup: Global Moderators
ACA Life Member
ACA Web Team
Last Activity: Yesterday 6:36 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to Lisachromis
Loss leaders can be a great deal if you plan it right.

Click the image to open in full size.
Basic Info page

Unread 09-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Jeff George
ACA Members

Last Activity: 07-20-2014 11:37 PM
My favorite plan is to buy the tanks at Petco, then get everything else online.

Petco and Petsmart are seriously hurting the hobby by crushing good local aquarium stores and passing out sick, stressed-out fish and $7 an hour advice to first-time fishkeepers who don't know any better. I don't feel the tiniest bit bad about buying tanks on this sale, and buying nothing else from them.

If that makes me a bad person, I'm sorry.

Unread 09-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
pitdogg2

Usergroup: Members
Last Activity: Today 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff George View Post
My favorite plan is to buy the tanks at Petco, then get everything else online.

Petco and Petsmart are seriously hurting the hobby by crushing good local aquarium stores and passing out sick, stressed-out fish and $7 an hour advice to first-time fishkeepers who don't know any better. I don't feel the tiniest bit bad about buying tanks on this sale, and buying nothing else from them.

If that makes me a bad person, I'm sorry.
nope just a smart shopper.
I agree with the crushing good pet stores. Besides I've already kept all they fish they carry so why buy more I'm looking for something much different now.

Unread 09-17-2012, 1:39 PM   #6
blaciarmd
ACA Members

Last Activity: 07-23-2014 11:18 PM
I've been in the hobby for over 30 years and I had never set foot into a Petco or Petsmart until I moved to Texas about 6 years ago. My wife has Cats and there were stores a few blocks away. Petco/Petsmart are convenient for last minute supplies. I support LFS. When you frequent a fish store/ pet store I find the staff always gives a discount, but at Petsmart or Petco you have to wait until a sale. Fish and Pet stores always have the most knowledgeble staff and all of the specialty hard to find parts, fish, and products.

Unread 09-17-2012, 2:51 PM   #7
Matt Quinn
ACA Members

Usergroup: Registered Users
ACA Members
Last Activity: 07-23-2014 8:42 AM
I've always seemed to find lots of (often barely) used tanks for sale in auctions, through my local fish club, Craigslist, etc... so haven't bought a new tank from a big box store (or an LFS) for years.

There are less than a handful of LFS in the DC / Baltimore area...and only a couple are decent. Sadly, it appears to be a business model that's no longer viable.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaciarmd View Post
I've been in the hobby for over 30 years and I had never set foot into a Petco or Petsmart until I moved to Texas about 6 years ago. My wife has Cats and there were stores a few blocks away. Petco/Petsmart are convenient for last minute supplies. I support LFS. When you frequent a fish store/ pet store I find the staff always gives a discount, but at Petsmart or Petco you have to wait until a sale. Fish and Pet stores always have the most knowledgeble staff and all of the specialty hard to find parts, fish, and products.

Unread 09-17-2012, 3:41 PM   #8
slimbolen99
ACA Members

Last Activity: 07-21-2014 5:59 AM
If you shop at a local store, even if you don't buy anything every time you're in, you'll build up a rapport. My LFS sold me the 75s in my fish room for almost $1.00 a gallon. If you go to Pet Smart or Pet Co or most other stores, they are over $200.00 for tank only. Of course, I bought a lot, but it pays to support the local guy.

That being said, if I'm in a pinch, I'll go to Petsmart to pick up some kitty litter or cat food; but nothing fish related.

It is my vision to continue my hobby through biotope setups; and propagation of wild type cichlids and their companions.

Unread 01-02-2013, 2:05 AM   #9
Jeff George
ACA Members

Last Activity: 07-20-2014 11:37 PM
For what it's worth, the $1 a gallon sale is on again, through January 19. (It comes around about four times a year, and goes for about a month, so you never have to wait too long...)

It covers 10s, 20s (long and high), 29s, 40 breeders (my personal fave) and 55s. Technically, it doesn't include any other sizes, so you're out of luck on 5s, 15s, and 30 longs, all of which are swell configurations, but apparently not too popular with the Petco crowd.

Unread 01-02-2013, 5:21 AM   #10
Mikeinco
ACA Members

Last Activity: 10-04-2013 6:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff George View Post
For what it's worth, the $1 a gallon sale is on again, through January 19. (It comes around about four times a year, and goes for about a month, so you never have to wait too long...)

It covers 10s, 20s (long and high), 29s, 40 breeders (my personal fave) and 55s. Technically, it doesn't include any other sizes, so you're out of luck on 5s, 15s, and 30 longs, all of which are swell configurations, but apparently not too popular with the Petco crowd.
I am probably going to take advantage of this sale and buy a few 20's to condition a few show fish for the ACA this year. Does this include the top and light or just the tank?

Last edited by Mikeinco; 01-02-2013 at 6:12 AM.