ACA 2014 Louisville

Go Back   American Cichlid Association Forums > General Discussion > Disease and Treatment, Water Conditions, Shipping/Receiving Fish

Notices

Disease and Treatment, Water Conditions, Shipping/Receiving Fish To discuss issues related to diagnosing and treating cichlids. Also discuss aspects for monitoring and treating your water for a variety of fish types.

Lymphocystis
Unread 04-05-2012, 8:13 PM   #1
smitty
ACA Members

Usergroup: ACA Members
Last Activity: 02-27-2013 3:53 PM
Lymphocystis

Back in February my friend Tommy and I purchased some fish and had them sent to us from a breeder known to many in the hobby. The fish that we purchased were 4 Argentea, 4 Bifasciatus, 4 Regani, 5 Umbriferum, 4 Zonatum. As soon as we received the fish we noticed a couple small white spots the on 2 Argentea, 1 Bifasiatus, and 2 Umbriferum. We set up a tank to treat the ones affected. Later I noticed a small spots on the other 2 Argentea that had already gone into the 210 gallon tank. Which were later removed and placed into the medicated tank. At first we thought it was velvet/tufts. Which is what we started to treat them for. After 3 or 4 weeks we seen no improvement, and matter of fact a couple seemed to get worse. Products used were API products. On April 3rd we made a stop by Aquarium Center in Clementon NJ. We mentioned it to Dominque and pulled it up on the computer saying that the reason the fish were not getting better was because they did not have velvet/tufts but in fact had Lymphocystis (first time I have ever heard of it). Yesterday I noticed a small spot growing on the dorsal fin of my black belt. Today I removed him from the tank. I just did some research and it seem this can ruin a tank. For those who have encountered this viral disease please offer your experience and what I can do to try and get rid of it. A couple post clearly say it is not treatable.

Now what really has made me mad is the fact after 10 days I called the breeder to get some info about what they may have and never received a call back. About 10-15 calls were made.

150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; Fluval FX5
210gal- Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2250,2262; Fluval FX5

Unread 04-05-2012, 9:47 PM   #2
dstuer1950
ACA Members

Last Activity: Yesterday 8:57 PM
Lymphocystus is one of those diseases (like shingles in humans) that appear after stressful situations, like shipping. The virus is as common as Rhino virus's in humans. Once it is in remission, there aren't any visible scars that I could see.
I received breidhori that presented it soon after arrival, it went away on its own with water changes and good husbandry.
The pics are after lympho.
Click the image to open in full size.

Unread 04-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
chc
ACA Members

Last Activity: 02-04-2014 8:58 PM
Sometimes lymph leaves permanent marks, sometimes not. Consider it untreatable other than with good conditions. As it is a virus, antibiotics don't have any effect. The weaker or more stressed the fish the more likely it is to make an appearance.

It is sad that I'd almost certainly be able to tell you which vendor you're speaking of...

Unread 04-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
notho2000
notho2000

Last Activity: Today 2:27 AM
Hey Smitty, sorry to hear of this problem. I had a similar situation happen about 2 years ago when I obtained a number of young CAs ('argentea, 'regani', 'pearsei', 'godmanni'). The 'argentea had white growths on the tips of the fins and a bit on the body. The other species showed no sign. Spencer, at aFISHionados here in Winnipeg mentioned that it was lymphocystis( a viral infection) for which there is no known cure. He said that it would most likely go into recession with good water quality and good maintenance. I kept these species all in the same aquarium (quarantining of sorts) to limit spread to my other fish and it never spread to the unaffected fish. The white growths initially got larger and portions of the fins disintegrated (much like fin rot) before things gradually started to get better. After a month or so, no sign of the problem was in evidence and the fins healed perfectly. I kept the water temperature somewhat high (82-84oF) and had added a little salt to the water. Otherwise I didn't medicate. BTW Spencer did mention that the particular supplier of these fish was known to have shipped fish in the past where lymphocystis was common. I don't know who that was. As was mentioned, stress may bring it out. There may be some species that are more predisposed to getting it. And also good fish husbandry at their source may have been somewhat suspect. Here are some statements taken from the internet that sum up the affliction pretty well.
Quote:
1. Lymphocystis is spread by fish-to-fish contact or contact with infected tissues. External trauma from spawning, aggression, parasites, or handling can facilitate infection and spread. In addition, crowding, shipping, and other stressors appear to trigger disease outbreaks. Lymphocystis does not appear to be spread by vertical transmission (i.e., from parents to offspring via infection of eggs or sperm).

2.Lymphocystis is usually a self-limiting disease, meaning that, in most cases, the lesions will clear up after a few weeks in warmwater fish species (up to 6 weeks in cool or coldwater species). However, because of the unsightly growths, fish normally cannot be sold during this time. If a fish has numerous lesions and/or lymphocystis nodules cover a large portion of important organs (e.g., the gills), there may be some impairment and greater chance of secondary infections by bacteria, parasites, or fungi that can now more easily infect the fish and help contribute to mortalities.

3. Currently, there is no good treatment that will speed up recovery from this disease. Most often, the disease must run its course in an affected fish. Fortunately most cases of lymphocystis in warmwater fish will resolve on their own after a few weeks, as long as husbandry is good (good water quality/chemistry, good nutrition, correct population densities, optimal social groups) and as long as other stressors have been eliminated.

4.Quarantining any new fish coming into your facility for at least 1–2 weeks (although longer periods, 30–60 days are preferred) and daily observation of these fish during this time will help alert you to any potential outbreaks of lymphocystis caused by shipping or acclimation stressors, and will also help increase the fish's immunity. Removal and/or isolation of affected fish may help reduce spread or severity. However, it is likely that other fish in the group are also infected, so removal and/or isolation of grossly affected fish will help reduce the number of active "shedders" and carriers of the virus.

5. In disinfection of tanks and equipment, iridoviruses can be inactivated with any of the following compounds, after 15 minutes at 77°F (25°C): potassium permanganate (100 mg/L or higher), formalin (2000 mg/L or higher), or sodium hypochlorite (liquid bleach—various formulations) at 200 mg/L or higher.
Hope this helps. For more info, here is the link to the article from which the listed information was taken.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa181

So just "waiting it out" and giving the fish good TLC looks like the way to go. Hopefully, they will recover.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once"
-Albert Einstein

Unread 04-06-2012, 7:33 AM   #5
jgentry
ACA Members

Last Activity: Today 8:25 AM
As mentioned it cannot be cured but the symptoms will go away with good care. If you decide to keep the fish you will need to be extra careful with nets, water change equipment, etc. Anything that can cross contaminate to your other tanks needs to be sterilized or you just need have seperate equipment just for this tank. Do not breed these fish or sell fry as they will almost certainly have the virus as well. If you do not want to keep the fish the they need to be put down and the tank completely sterilized.

Sorry you are having this issue. You do not need to name the vendor, we all know who it is.

Unread 04-06-2012, 5:08 PM   #6
Andy100
ACA Members

Usergroup: Registered Users
ACA Members
Last Activity: Yesterday 4:05 PM
We have had the same problem in the UK from the same source, the method employed here is to raise the temperature in the tank, which should be bare, treat the infected fish with clout and syphon the bottom of tank daily. As stated above nets etc must only be used on the quarantine tank. I agree stress in transport is thereason for the infection. changes in PH water hardness etc must have an bearing as well. though saying that water in the south of england is very similar to Central America. Good luck remember CA's are tough fish

Andy

Unread 04-06-2012, 6:47 PM   #7
smitty
ACA Members

Last Activity: 02-27-2013 3:53 PM
I want to thank everyone who chimed in to offer info and experience. Jim I really appreciated the link to the article. J.D. you mentioned not to breed these fish later down the line due to the fry acquiring the disease. But in the article it said that it is not passed to eggs and fry. Unless I am not understanding what they are saying.

150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; Fluval FX5
210gal- Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2250,2262; Fluval FX5

Unread 04-06-2012, 7:09 PM   #8
jgentry
ACA Members

Last Activity: Today 8:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
I want to thank everyone who chimed in to offer info and experience. Jim I really appreciated the link to the article. J.D. you mentioned not to breed these fish later down the line due to the fry acquiring the disease. But in the article it said that it is not passed to eggs and fry. Unless I am not understanding what they are saying.
I maybe be wrong on this but to me it's a virus. There is no way to hatch the eggs with the parents and not expose them to the virus. There is also no way to transfer the eggs with out contaminating the new tank you move them to.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, that is what a I was told by someone I trusted. I never really researched it.

Unread 04-06-2012, 7:49 PM   #9
blaciarmd
ACA Members

Last Activity: Yesterday 9:40 PM
Good luck to you. I just lost 8 fish due to a bacterial infection.

Unread 04-06-2012, 9:06 PM   #10
dstuer1950
ACA Members

Last Activity: Yesterday 8:57 PM
my previously infected breidhori spawned soon after recovery, I never saw or heard of any of the fry presenting signs of lymph.