ACA 2014 Louisville

Go Back   American Cichlid Association Forums > Cichlid and Companions > South American Cichlids

Notices

South American Cichlids South American cichlids come in so many varieties, talk about them here.

My Guianacara have spawned!!
Unread 02-13-2012, 5:04 PM   #1
underhung

Usergroup: Members
Last Activity: 06-18-2012 10:29 PM
My Guianacara have spawned!!

Interesting turn of events. I was away for 3 days in Denver over the weekend. When I came home Sunday afternoon and was looking over the tank thinking I need to do a water change and scrub some alge of the glass. I noticed one of my Guianacara was really chasing everyone away from one of the basalt slabs in the back of the tank. After closer inspection I noticed on each side of the black vertical body line there was now a vertical cream line. Alsa he had a cream spot behind the vertical line on his head. So using a led flash light on low I began to investigate. Sure enough his little lady was stashed behind the rock fanning a clutch of about 50-75 light tan to dark cream colored eggs. They had excavated behind the rock creating a fair sized cavity.

The unfortunate issue is this is a community tank and if they do hatch any fry I doubt they will survive. There is good news though, I picked up a 60 cube on my way home from the airport for some apistos. I may fish those two out and put them in there with a pr of cacoutodius. Thinking they may co-habitate together nicely.

On a side note I have been unable to get a good pick of the pr of there spawn due to the location in the tank and the pr hiding behind their rock.

Unread 02-13-2012, 7:33 PM   #2
Lotsapetsgarfhts
ACA Members

Usergroup: ACA Members
Last Activity: 07-07-2013 5:58 PM
Well good work! Now please siphon some fry out if you get the chance and raise them up.

Unread 02-13-2012, 8:21 PM   #3
underhung

Usergroup: Members
Last Activity: 06-18-2012 10:29 PM
I might do that if I'm lucky enough to be home when they hatch. Right now working 12hrs a day machining knee replacements. If I do get lucky, anyone know if newly hatched brine will be small enough for there first food? Does anyone make a pre-made fry food?

Unread 02-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Decker504
ACA Members

Usergroup: ACA Members
Last Activity: 04-21-2014 12:48 AM
I've been using Hikari frozen baby brine and HBH baby food. I hatched some baby brine last week, but it stunk and I work a bunch of hours too. I have fry in a sterilite contanier w/ sponge filters on a air pump and heater. Just suck them ot a couple days after they free swim.