ACA 2014 Louisville

Go Back   American Cichlid Association Forums > Cichlid and Companions > Central/North American Cichlids

Notices

Central/North American Cichlids Central and North American cichlids.

C. Altoflavus VS. C. Nanoluteus?
Unread 08-30-2010, 1:57 PM   #1
cavamart
ACA Members

Usergroup: ACA Members
Last Activity: 09-28-2013 10:27 AM
C. Altoflavus VS. C. Nanoluteus?

Can anyone chime in on the differences of these two species? Thanks.

Unread 09-05-2010, 9:54 AM   #2
primarypredator
Life Member

Usergroup: ACA Life Member
Last Activity: 03-26-2014 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavamart View Post
Can anyone chime in on the differences of these two species? Thanks.
The description was published in a French hobby book, called L'an Cichlidae. I have a copy. Basically the same fish, a little lighter in color. As I recall, nanoluteus is closer to the Costa Rican border, while altolfavus is found further to the east. French hobbysists have been there, but I do not think any Americans have made it that way yet. Joe Rusty Bill and I brought back nanos from Rio Robalo a few years ago. Other nanos in the hobby may have come from Europe, meaning they may be altos. The river drainage that they came from may be the only difference.
This is one of those pet peeves for me. The altoflavus description was published in a non-peer reviewed journal. Informal American rules do not allow or recognize such descriptions (such as could be potentially published in B. Yet these same scientists will recognize such clap-trap from across the pond, and Kullander loves the non-peer reviewed French hobby stuff.
As such I don't recognize it as a valid description or species. If no one else did either, it would go away. However, it seems to have slid its way into common usage.
Don Quixote anyone?

Its the mysteries of life that keep me going.

Unread 09-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
cavamart
ACA Members

Usergroup: ACA Members
Last Activity: 09-28-2013 10:27 AM
Thanks Eric. I'm assuming the Nanos out here in Portland are decendants from your trip. I know Steve gets stock from Rusty and I think Roland is working with them as well. I'll have to ask around at the GPAS meeting. Either way most likely from the Rio Robalo.