Go Back   American Cichlid Association Forums > General Discussion > Equipment and Do It Yourself

Notices

Equipment and Do It Yourself Fishrooms, fish stuff and just good ideas to keep the places running smoothly.

Holeless Auto Water Change System
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
TKC747
ACA Members

Usergroup: Registered Users
ACA Members
Last Activity: 03-14-2014 10:18 AM
Holeless Auto Water Change System

Hi, I understand that Allen Wood, the chairman of the ALA has such a system, one in which he didn't have to drill holes into his tanks. Does anyone know how he did this?

Apparently, he feeds water into his tanks and there is a system of PVC pipes that drains excess water from the tank as it fills, and he did this without drilling holes into the tanks. The physics seems too hard for me to figure out.

Thanks

Tom

Unread 01-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
fishandfire
Administrator

Usergroup: Administrators
ACA Cadre
ACA Members
Last Activity: 04-08-2012 7:38 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to fishandfire
The only thing that I can figure out is that there is a pvc pipe that goes into the tank. At the bottom of the pipe us two 90's that create a "U". As the water level increases from the auto fill, it will attempt to find it's own level. The "U" will collect water from lower in the tank and feed it out of the pvc since it is an enclosed system. If I am thinking correctly since the water going out of the tank is taken from a lower level, the tank will not overflow.

The problem with my theory would be that there is the possibility of an air lock at the top of the pipe going out of the tank and back down. I think this could be corrected by filling the pipe and closing a valve prior to starting the auto fill. Once the auto fill is about to overflow the tank, open the valve slightly to create a siphon. This method would take a lot of balancing with the valve to make sure that the same amount going out through the valve is exactly the same as going into the tanks. This would create a very gradual auto change system.

If the system is not continuously running, and is a "once a week" water change, I have another idea for that.

Unread 01-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
TKC747
ACA Members

ACA Members
Thanks alot John. I think I would need to see the pictures again and read your post again.

Tom

Unread 01-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
slimbolen99
ACA Members

Usergroup: ACA Members
Last Activity: Today 7:42 AM
Here you go. I'm working on the schematics now to integrate this into my fish room.

It is my vision to continue my hobby through biotope setups; and propagation of wild type cichlids and their companions.

Unread 01-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
slimbolen99
ACA Members

Here's another guy's idea. He is from our club and started this forum. His layout is better than mine.

http://dramaticaquascapes.com/PVC_Overflow_11.html

It is my vision to continue my hobby through biotope setups; and propagation of wild type cichlids and their companions.

Unread 01-08-2012, 4:18 AM   #6
TKC747
ACA Members

ACA Members
Awesome Brian, couldn't find it myself, how did you get these with google?

I guess what bothered me was this question... How do you keep the system primed, so that there is water above the tank inside the outflow tube?
Okay, saw the whole video, the water pumped into the system leaves it primed. But this system has to be watched until the tanks are full.

I will look at the second design...

Thanks again, Brian!

Tom

Last edited by TKC747; 01-08-2012 at 4:38 AM. Reason: more to say

Unread 01-08-2012, 7:22 AM   #7
Matt Quinn
ACA Members

ACA Members
Last Activity: 09-06-2014 7:56 AM
Tom - I've set up a couple of fishrooms using the following approach:

http://www.laketang.com/showthread.p...iphon-Overflow

In a nutshell, you need a way to drain water and a way to add water.

To drain, I have at least one DIY PVC overflow on each tank (draining to a central drain line...which either goes down the drain in the basement floor...or into the garden in the case of our garage fishroom in Cali).

To fill, I ran tap water to (black) 1/2" drip irrigation tubing hung from the ceiling of the fishroom (the main line)...and a branch line or two from the main line to each tank. Depending on number of tanks, desired flow rate and water pressure, you can control the amount of water to each tank via drip emitters. This is basically the same as if you'd set up a drip irrigation system for a garden...

Some folks use water purification systems, bins of aged water and pumps and timers (like those used for lawn sprinkler systems), temperature mixing valves, etc. to totally automate the system (I've done most of these on at least one of my fishrooms).

To keep it simple, I just add a little dechlor to each tank and run tap water from the closest utility sink to the main line (via a garden hose) when I get home from work (or some time in the evening when family members won't complain about use of hot water)...or whenever I get a chance.

When I turn the water on, water goes to each tank. And drains via the PVC overflows...

I still siphon the bottom of tanks and clean filters.

Matt

Unread 01-08-2012, 7:32 AM   #8
TKC747
ACA Members

ACA Members
Excellent thread, Matt, Thanks!!!

Tom

Unread 01-08-2012, 7:44 AM   #9
Matt Quinn
ACA Members

ACA Members
Last Activity: 09-06-2014 7:56 AM
It's actually pretty simple...glad I could help!

Matt

Unread 01-08-2012, 9:31 AM   #10
slimbolen99
ACA Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC747 View Post
Awesome Brian, couldn't find it myself, how did you get these with google?

I guess what bothered me was this question... How do you keep the system primed, so that there is water above the tank inside the outflow tube?
Okay, saw the whole video, the water pumped into the system leaves it primed. But this system has to be watched until the tanks are full.

I will look at the second design...

Thanks again, Brian!
The video is an experiment I conjured up on the front porch to see if it would even work. Yes, you have to watch the tanks when filling on that particular system. The links provided by Matt would work even better.