Go Back   American Cichlid Association Forums > General Discussion > Equipment and Do It Yourself

Notices

Equipment and Do It Yourself Fishrooms, fish stuff and just good ideas to keep the places running smoothly.

90 gallon filter ideas
Unread 02-19-2012, 3:04 AM   #1
KevinH

Usergroup: Members
Last Activity: 02-26-2012 11:58 AM
90 gallon filter ideas

what kind of filter(s) / combination(s) to use, my last tank was a 65 gallon with a fluval canister, and hagen HOB, was considering trying a wet/dry, however I do have limited funds, and my tank is not drilled. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Unread 02-19-2012, 7:27 AM   #2
chc
ACA Members

Usergroup: ACA Members
Last Activity: 02-04-2014 8:58 PM
Your last combination was fine. Always nice to have two filters instead of one as a fail safe measure. Good to get the benefits of two different intakes and returns too.

Personally, I would use a similar setup on something that size (90 gallons). You could always just go with two high capacity HOB filters too. That'd be cheaper.

A lot of the talk on forums over-emphasizes the technical issues of filtration. There are a lot of " gear-heads" out there. Look at some of the tanks of the best fish keepers in the world though. Often you'll see them using pretty basic stuff. Sponge filters rule for a lot of terrific aquarists.

Ultimately, your water change regimen is more important than the brand of filter you use. All filters nitrify waste in basically the same manner, and if your water parameters are in line you are doing just fine for your fish.

Unread 02-19-2012, 8:39 AM   #3
Lotsapetsgarfhts
ACA Members

Last Activity: 07-07-2013 5:58 PM
I agree with chc, 2 large HOB filters will be fine. I have always liked the Hagen Aquaclears because of the foam filter block. It not only acts as a mechanical filter but holds bacteria, the fact that you don't have to replace the foam block very often (you just rinse them in a small container of the aquarium water) also gets it extra points. The other feature I like is the carbon bags, they last awhile. I know that the filter pads with the carbon in them have so little that the carbon doesn't last very long. I also find them a waste of money.

Ken's Fish has all the Aquaclears on sale right now. PM me if you need the link I don't know if it's ok to post it here. He also has all the Marineland filters on sale to but I think the Aquaclears are a better value in the long run.

Now if you want to try a wet dry filter you don't need a drilled tank you can get a box that straddles the top of the tank and allows water to siphon from the tank to the filter. I call them skimmer boxes, but I don't recall their real name. I tried wet dry years ago and wasn't that impressed.

Unread 02-19-2012, 9:19 AM   #4
tom123055

Last Activity: 05-07-2012 6:27 AM
I have been building large air driven box filters or as the old school name goes corner filters. I also use sponge filters along with that. You get all sorts of food grade plastic containers when you purchase many items on your grocry list. I have have been using a course sponge to cover the bottom and my life tube sits in that. Next layer up is gravel then a finer sponge on top of that next layer is carbon and the top layer is filter floss. So the filtration goes from the top first through the floss then through the carbon, next it goes through the fine sponge through the gravel and out through the tube. Lotsof area for waste and lots of room for bacteria. There was nothing wrong with the old school stuff but it doese take up space in the tank. I think the benifits are worth it.

Unread 02-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
KevinH

Thanks for the info, I'm sticking with the HOB's

Unread 02-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Taiko

Last Activity: 01-05-2014 5:15 PM
I use 2 large HOB filters on my 75 plus a water circulator. The 2 HOB's circulate about 140 GPH and the circulater does about the same, maybe more. I'll have to look at the specs.

I personally like the HOB's for the ease of maintenance.

Kevin

Unread 02-19-2012, 9:57 PM   #7
KevinH

**Update, aquarium is not 90 gal, but rather 110, I thought it looked bigger than 90 lol, so the same question arises about filtration, I have a hagen aquaclear 70 and an old Fluval 403, would that work, or should I upgrade?

Unread 02-20-2012, 6:27 AM   #8
Lotsapetsgarfhts
ACA Members

Kevin, anything will work depending on the load. In combination they may work, but I would go with something bigger especially since your tank just gaines 20 gallons.

Unread 02-20-2012, 8:46 AM   #9
KevinH

perhaps two aquaclear 70's and the 403?

Unread 02-20-2012, 9:29 AM   #10
Lotsapetsgarfhts
ACA Members

That will probably do it.