Go Back   American Cichlid Association Forums > Guests - Join the American Cichlid Association > ACA Conservation and ACA CARES

Notices

ACA Conservation and ACA CARES Discuss the American Cichlid Association conservation efforts or join in to help.

Closed Thread

Unread 05-01-2008, 7:51 AM   #1
penycat
ACA Members

Usergroup: ACA Members
Last Activity: 10-13-2010 12:11 PM
Send a message via ICQ to penycat Send a message via AIM to penycat Send a message via MSN to penycat Send a message via Yahoo to penycat Send a message via Skype™ to penycat
This guy gets fish from lake

Victoria...
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

ViewItem&item=120253373939&fromMakeTrack=true"

target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...mMakeTrack=true</a>
Not cheap but

wow!

Unread 05-01-2008, 9:48 PM   #2
Claudia
ACA Ambassador-at-Large/ACA Fellow

Usergroup: Global Moderators
ACA Cadre
ACA Life Member
ACA Web Team
Last Activity: 09-10-2014 12:05 PM
<span

style="color:#006400">Hello, Penycat!

The photo is from our very

own Dave Hansen!

You will find many of these cichlids through the Hill Country

Cichlid Club in Texas, where noted ACA members Greg Steeves and Dave Hansen breed Xystichromis

phytophagus
and numerous other at-risk Victorian species.

With Warm Regards,
Claudia
</span>

'...a blade of grass is no less than the journey work of the stars.' ~ Walt Whitman

'There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere.' ~ Isaac Asimov

An aquarium room is a journey, just as life, evolution, and dear friendships...

Unread 05-01-2008, 9:53 PM   #3
penycat
ACA Members

Send a message via ICQ to penycat Send a message via AIM to penycat Send a message via MSN to penycat Send a message via Yahoo to penycat Send a message via Skype™ to penycat
Oh that's

awesome!!! See now THAT's why I'm glad I'm part of this group!

Unread 05-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
bobrfish

Usergroup: Members
Last Activity: 07-17-2011 5:00 PM
Best part of this deal is

seller is keeping a fish that is extinct in Lake Victoria. I have heard that fish still swims in

satellite lakes but that is old information. Seller implies fish are either F1 or F2. I doubt

that is true.

Few years back my X. phytophagus bred and there were few buyers. Even

attempted giving them away and folks would not take them. Hope more folks give Lake Victoria a

spot in the fishroom.

"How does it feel...Like a rolling stone?"

Unread 05-02-2008, 5:06 AM   #5
fishmaven
ACA Life Member

Usergroup: ACA Life Member
Last Activity: 07-22-2014 8:53 AM
<!--fonto:Arial

Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black">You might try contacting Dave through

the Hill Country club. Here's a link:<http://www.hillcountrycichlidclub.com>

Before shipping from out

of town I'd try local networks like Craig's List or eBay's answer to Craig's List,

Kijiji. That way you can select your fish when making your purchase.

If you're

planning to make the convention, try to find cichlid keepers in your immediate area. You should be

able to post a sign asking for local contacts. (There'll probably be a small charge for the

bulletin board.) While you're sizing up the offerings at the auction table look for the fish

you'd like to have and try to make connections with the sellers. Also, look for the bags that

are properly inflated with healthy looking fish that would survive shipping or transport. Those

sellers would be good to know also. They'd be the ones most likely to send you fish that would

arrive alive. If you don't have business cards- make some. Put your name, e-mail address,

location on 3X5 cards and give one to each of the people you've pre-selected. Add your phone

number if they're local. Ask them to send you a list when they've made a new one.
Dan</span>

http://www.fishmaven.net
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
Dr. Seuss

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
Mario Andretti

Unread 05-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
penycat
ACA Members

Thank you for that

tip!!! I should say tipS! I will be at the convention and am so looking forward to

it. I got to go to the one last March in Raleigh, NC, so have a tip of my foot in the water so to

speak, but still am a total newbe as far as these things go. Right now I've got angelfish all

over my house pairs and not pairs that are hoping to become pairs and things like that. Then my

baby betta tank with about 30 or so fry (first time with these) and a small tank of fancy guppies

(pure strain of moscow blue and green). However, I really would like to get more into the Lake

Victoria Cichlids if only a tank or so just to help in my small way. I've fallen in love with

the flamebacks. I've never seen a more beautiful fish, salt included, than these and it's

very sad to me to think that they are on the verge of being lost...can't we dig like a huge

lake somewhere here in the US where we can emulate nature in Lake Victoria and grow them all up

again? lol *sigh* one can but dream

Closed Thread