ACA 2014 Louisville

Go Back   American Cichlid Association Forums > General Discussion > Equipment and Do It Yourself

Notices

Equipment and Do It Yourself Fishrooms, fish stuff and just good ideas to keep the places running smoothly.

Unread 01-09-2013, 7:31 AM   #21
Mikeinco
ACA Members

Usergroup: ACA Members
Last Activity: 10-04-2013 6:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff George View Post
Go to the Petco website, use the store finder to find the stores near you, then click the link to that store, then click the link for the local ad. That will tell you what they are giving the deal on. I've never seen a Petco that didn't have the exact same deals on their local ad as every other Petco, though you might have to print out their ad and bring it with you if the local manager is too dim to know what he's supposed to be including on his own sale...

As far as I know, the sale is always on these specific tanks:

10g, 20H, 20L, 29g, 40B, and 55g.

It specifically does NOT include three sizes I personally really like - 5g, 15g, and 30g - all of which have much more utility than 10s, 20Hs, and 29s.

BTW, if you are in the NYC area, I noticed that Petland Discounts is now responding with their own $1 per gallon sale, though the poster in the window mentioned only 10, 20, and 29 gallon tanks.
I purchased two 20 gallon talls and one 10 gallon tank on Sunday and was told it was only 10, 20 and 29 gallon tanks that were on sale. I personally don't even think this is that good of a deal. For $64 I can go to Petsmart and get a 20 gallon kit which includes everything needed to set up the tank including the top, light, filter and heater. I am sure once i set up the 20 and 10 from Petco I'm going to end up spending at least $64 anyway.

Unread 01-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #22
blaciarmd
ACA Members

Last Activity: 08-24-2014 7:29 PM
Recently I jumped on a Craigslist ad for a 75g with the stand and canopy for $100. I honestly thought it was a scam, but to my amazement the seller just did not have any use for the tank. Low and behold I realized it was a 90g not a 75g. I basically got a dollar per gallon. Usually the tanks I see on Cl are in bad condition along with the equipment, but this tank appeared to new.

Unread 01-31-2013, 4:41 AM   #23
Terry308

Usergroup: Members
Last Activity: 01-31-2013 4:47 AM
Sounds like a good deal. I just bought a brand new Aqueon 55 gallon tank from PetCo during the dollar per gallon sell. I got a new real wood walnut stand and canopy. That was the expensive part. My old 40 gallon tank blew out from the front glass and flooded my room. Had to rush the fish over to my friends house, clear everything out of my room and pull up the carpet to save the hard wood floor. It was a long night since the tank blew out around midnight. But on the up side I now have a nice 55 gallon setup. The fish love it a lot more.
Also I got my buddy to buy a 29 gallon tank during the sell and sold him my old stand, canopy, LED light, filter, and some other stuff so he is finally in the cichlid club although he can only have about 4 in the tank. I got him some African cichlids.

Last edited by Terry308; 01-31-2013 at 4:47 AM.

Unread 03-05-2013, 9:48 AM   #24
Jeff George
ACA Members

Last Activity: 08-27-2014 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinco View Post
I purchased two 20 gallon talls and one 10 gallon tank on Sunday and was told it was only 10, 20 and 29 gallon tanks that were on sale. I personally don't even think this is that good of a deal. For $64 I can go to Petsmart and get a 20 gallon kit which includes everything needed to set up the tank including the top, light, filter and heater. I am sure once i set up the 20 and 10 from Petco I'm going to end up spending at least $64 anyway.
When they do the sale, its national, and it includes 10s, both 20s, 29s, 40Br, and 55s...BUT the smaller Petcos don't have room to CARRY 40Brs, and some don't even have 55s. I bet what that Petco was really telling you was, "We have a sale on all those sizes, but 10s, 20s and 29s are all we have in stock, and since we lose money on every one of these tanks at the sale price except 10s, I don't plan to special order it for you, and to keep you from complaining, I'm going to let you believe that the 40s and 55s aren't included."

As for it being a good deal, it's below wholesale cost on all but 10 gallon tanks, and tanks have the thinnest margin of anything in a fish store. Even at retail - which for a 40Br is over $100 - the dealer is only making a few percent profit. Tanks are essentially a loss-leader in the fish game - dealers plan to make it up on equipment and livestock.

Bottom line, if you can use these sizes, you aren't going to get new tanks any cheaper. The only way to save from those prices on new tanks is if you happen to be satisfied with the equipment that comes in a kit or package deal, where they can build in the huge mark-ups on the cheap heaters, filters, hoods and lights they put in the kits - but be careful, and be picky. Personally, I rarely find the equipment included in those package deals to have the quality and configuration that I demand, so they don't help me.

For 29s, 40s and 55s, you MAY find a cheaper one used, but you can't count on it. If they would put the 75s and 90s on the dollar a gallon sale, then you'd REALLY have a deal.

Unread 03-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #25
viejo
ACA founding member

Usergroup: Registered Users
ACA Members
Last Activity: 08-06-2014 12:35 PM
In other words: "We'll give you the house & sell you the furnishings."

Larry Brown